Best Free Bets Bonuses at Canadian Betting Sites
The sports betting industry’s ‘free bet’ market grows hand in hand with the industry’s popularity. Even passive sports fans can be tempted by such a bonus while casually watching a game or even listening to a sports podcast.
One second, you’re watching your favorite soccer team in action, and the next, with the edge of your eye, you catch some sports betting site trying to sell you a ‘free bet’ token on one of the arena’s sponsored digital boards.
And the temptation is real. Who wouldn’t want to bet for free? Feels almost like refusing a free meal.
Well, there’s more to free bet offers than that. In some cases, ‘free’ does not necessarily mean ‘deposit-free.’ But that’s all part of the marketing strategy. We’re here to give you an unbiased and objective view of these hyped sports bonuses and elucidate and deconstruct the concept and mechanics behind them.
Oh, and we also turned a lot of stones to find some of the best deals on the Canadian market, just in case you can’t escape the temptation.
Best Free Bets Bonuses in Canada
The concept is self-explanatory – you get to place a free bet stake, or stakes, with betting funds provided by a Canadian online bookmaker. But there are now so many betting sites touting free bonus funds that it’s clear why inexperienced bettors get confused. Adding to the confusion is the ban on the advertisement of bonuses among Ontario sportsbooks, making it increasingly difficult to find a good bonus among Canadian betting sites.
If you are partial to low-roller sports bonuses, free bets will fit the bill, but only if you pluck them from Canada’s best betting sites. We did the digging ourselves, and these are our top selections.
|📖Sportsbook||🆓Free Bet Bonus||🤞Min. Odds||⏱️Validity||💵Min. Deposit|
|Bzeebet||C$200 New Player Bonus||1.40 (-250) or greater for combo bets, 2.00 (+100) or greater for single bets||14 days||C$20|
|Betsson||Up to C$40 worth of free bets||Wager net win from free bet 1x on selections with odd of 1.50 (-200) or greater||14 days||C$20|
|18bet||100% up to C$150 in bonus bets||1.80 (-125) or greater||21 days to complete the wagering requirements||C$15|
|betway||Up to C$200 Free Bet Refund||N/A||7 days||C$10|
|Betstro||C$25 freebet||5.00 (+400)||30 days||C$25|
|Unibet||C$10 free bet||1.40 (-250)||30 days||C$20|
|Betiton||C$10 Free Sports Bet||2.00 (+100)||14 days||C$15|
|Mr. Play||100% up to C$100 on first deposit||1.40 (-250) or greater on combined bets, or 2.00 (+100) or greater on single bets||14 days||C$10|
|Luckster||100% up to C$100||1.40 (-250) or greater on combined bets, or 2.00 (+100) or greater on single bets||14 days||C$10|
|ZetBet||Deposit C$10 get C$10 free||1.40 (-250) or greater on combined bets, or 2.00 (+100) or greater on single bets||14 days||C$10|
1.🥇BzeeBet – Deposit C$20 or More, Claim Up to C$200
BzeeBet is a quirky name for a casino site, but we assure you their operation is legit, and so are their bonuses. This MGA-licensed sportsbook (it also has a casino lobby) offers welcome deposit free bets to all eligible Canadian bettors.
The welcome offer allows you to snatch up to C$200 in bonus bets. The minimum deposit is C$20, while the amount in bonus bets will depend on the size of your deposit.
2.🥈Betsson – Up to C$30 in Free Welcome Bets
Betsson sports promotional campaign offers multiple sports promotions, including €30 worth of free bets.
The free bet comes as part of the welcome bonus package and requires an initial deposit worth €10 (or about C$20). The deposit makes you eligible for €5 worth of free bets. You can claim this bonus on six consecutive deposits for a total of €30 (about C$40). New customers must deposit €10 or more for every €5 free bet.
Once you get your free bets you have two weeks (14 days) to use them before they become invalid.
3.🥉18BET – Up to C$150 on Signup
New signees on 18Bet can claim up to C$150 from the operator’s welcome sports bonus and use those funds as free bets on all sports events, except on NHL and specified NBA markets.
The qualifying deposit is C$15, for which you will receive a C$15 bonus. The bonus amount is subject to 16x wagering requirements. While the bonus is active, you must bet only on events with odds of 1.80 (-125) or greater. You can use the bonus funds as betting credits on qualifying events or cash them out, alongside accumulated winnings, after you satisfy the wagering requirements.
4. betway – Up to C$200 Free Bet Refund
betway’s welcome package does not necessarily include free bet stakes, but you can use the bonus as such once you meet the rollover requirements.
betway, one of the online betting industry’s foremost brands, offers you, as a new player, a free refund bet of up to C$200 if your initial bet loses. The free bet, unless used, will expire within 7 days after it’s credited.
The way the bonus works is that you need to place a minimum bet of C$10 on any sporting event, regardless of the odds, and betway will return your stake as a free bet, but only if it loses. The operator will return any lost bet up to C$200. If you stake and lose a larger amount, say C$250, you will still get only C$200 back as a free bet.
5. Betstro – C$25 Welcome Sports Freebet
Betstro had multiple free bet deposit bonuses at the time of writing, but we found the free bet on signup the top option.
Eligible Canadian bettors who place C$25 or more on their initial deposit will qualify for the bonus, but you will have to select the Welcome Sports Freebet from the list of promos or via the deposit page manually to activate it.
The only limitation of this offer is that it cannot be used on markets with odds of 5.00 (+400). Volleyball, tennis, ice hockey, football, and basketball bets are also excluded from this bonus.
6. Unibet Canada – C$10 Free Bet
Unibet has for years been a staple in the online betting community, and this year offers a C$10 free bet deal to all interested sports fans.
The bonus bets are included in the sportsbook’s new player offer, where the main bonus is a 100% match on your initial deposit up to C$50. If you deposit C$30, the casino will credit an additional C$30 to your bonus balance. The bonus will be transferred to your withdrawable balance once you complete the 6x rollover requirements. To meet the rollover terms, you must stake your bonus amount six times on bets with odds of 1.40 (-250) or greater.
Unibet will credit the C$10 free bet bonus to your account the day after you’ve made the qualifying deposit. The free bet itself has no sport or minimum odds restrictions.
7. Betiton – C$10 New Customer Free Sports Bet
Betiton’s sports promotions are limited, but the welcome deal is quite appealing. Betiton will grant a C$10 free bet to any new customer who makes a minimum initial deposit of C$15 and stakes at least as much (C$15) on qualifying sports events with odds of 2.00 (+100) or greater.
Once you’ve made C$15 worth of bets, the C$10 free bet token can be used on selections with odds of at least 1.80 (-125). Deposits with Skrill, Skrill 1-Tap, Paysafe, Neteller, and PayPal do not qualify for this bonus. The bet token expires within 14 days.
8. Mr. Play – 100% Bonus On Your First Deposit Up to C$100
Mr. Play will award new customers with a 100% bonus sports bet of between C$30 and C$100. The qualifying deposit is C$10, meaning if you deposit this amount, Mr. Play will credit an additional C$10 as a bonus. You can complete the 9x rollover conditions attached to the bonus and withdraw the bonus fund, along with all your winnings, or use them as free betting credits.
The sportsbook will match your deposit up to C$100, meaning you can claim a total of C$200 (deposit + bonus amount) with your initial deposit. Once you activate the offer, you have 14 days to clear the terms and wagering requirements before the bonus expires. Other T&Cs apply.
9. Luckster- Claim Up to C$100 Free on Your First Deposit
Luckster is an Irish-themed sportsbook that welcomes eligible Canadian bettors with open arms and a 100% sports bonus up to C$100. In many respects, the bonus resembles the aforementioned deal by Mr. Play.
The minimum deposit is C$10, for which you will receive a C$10 bonus, while the maximum deposit is C$100. Again, if you complete the 9x wagering requirements and remaining terms, you can do with your bonus funds as you please: withdraw them or add them to your betting balance.
10. Zetbet – Deposit C$10, Get C$10 Free (Up to C$100)
ZetBet has a similar deal for Canadians and offers a 100% bonus on deposits between C$10 and C$100 with a 9x rollover.
- Deposit C$10, get C$10 free
- Deposit C$40, get C$40 free
- Deposit C$100, get C$100 free
Only first-time depositors are eligible for this offer. Existing customers who have already made a deposit do not qualify.
Types of Free Bet Promotions at CA Betting Sites
First Deposit Free Bets
The name is self-explanatory. The sportsbook will grant a free bet once you place your first deposit. This is one of multiple sign-up offers that can include free bets, though they are usually promoted in and of itself rather than being part of a larger welcome package.
The size of the bet can be anyone’s guess. Operators can provide bonuses smaller or higher than C$100 worth of bets, depending on the size of the deposit. Some first-deposit free bets allow you to claim a bigger bonus for placing a bigger deposit, but this is not always the case.
No Deposit Free Bets
With no deposit free bet bonuses, you can claim and use your bonus right after you activate it i.e. without having to place a qualifying bet and without a first deposit requirement. A no deposit free bet is usually promoted as a welcome initiative or as a VIP bonus.
Though no deposit is needed to claim this bonus, it is conditioned on specified betting rules, including wagering requirements.
Risk-free bets can be identified by different names, including second-chance bets. The main difference between regular free bets and risk-free bets is the former is usable only once. On the other hand, a risk-free bet allows you to bet a second time if your initial bet loses.
This type of bet may require a qualifying deposit depending on the minimum amount you are required to stake. If your initial bet wins, the risk-free bet is no longer valid. If you lose, the operator will refund you the amount you lost. In most cases, the rebated sum acts only as betting credits and cannot be withdrawn.
Existing Customer Free Bets
Free bet deals for existing customers are available exclusively to regular players who have made at least one bet or claimed a welcome bonus. These can include sport-specific bonuses, reload bonuses, daily and weekly offers, and weekend promos.
It is a convenient sports bonus if you want to keep betting with bonus bets after you claim or decline the signup offer. Most Canadian betting sites offer a diverse menu of free bet deals for existing customers throughout the year.
VIP Free Bet
VIP free bets are given as part of exclusive free bet clubs i.e. loyalty programs. Once you’ve met the preconditions to join the VIP club, you automatically become eligible for the assortment of bonuses and perks that come with it.
Free Sports Bets vs Casino Free Bets
If you’re on the hunt for free bets, you should be able to distinguish between a sports bonus and a casino bonus.
Because many Canadian sportsbooks also offer casino games and dedicated casino bonuses, you must filter out all casino-related bonuses to avoid taking the wrong deal.
Every sportsbook licensed to provide online casino services will have a relevant button on its promo page that allows you to separate the sports from the casino bonuses.
Finding the Best Free Bet Offers in Canada
Free bet promos come and go. You can find a suitable promo or just as easily miss out on a good deal. We’ll give you a few tips on how you can find the best ongoing free bets.
- Find a legit and dedicated sportsbook – Choose a betting site that offers sports promos regularly. Chances are that at least one of the sportsbook’s bonuses will be a free bet deal.
- Contact a customer support agent – Some sportsbooks allow you to chat with a support assistant even if you’re not a registered member. You can ask the assistant about any ongoing or upcoming free bet promos, and they will eagerly brief you on their latest deals.
- Agree to receive bonus updates – Almost every betting site has an option upon registration that allows you to opt to receive updatesand notifications about special promos. Tick the required box before you register, and the operator will regularly inform you about upcoming and existing deals.
- Look for VIP programs – VIP/loyalty sportsbook programs can hand out highly favorable bonuses, including free bets. Find a licensed sportsbook that has a loyalty/VIP club and ask customer support if free bets are part of the program.
- Use our site to find the best promotions – If you want areliable source for the best free bet promotions, you’ll be glad to have us in your corner. We find the best ongoing Canada free bets, and we continually look for new offers and offer updates on existing ones.
How to Claim Free Bets at Canadian Sportsbooks
Finding suitable sports offers is one thing, but claiming free bets leaves no room for mistakes. Just one slip or unintended error, and you can easily forfeit your bonus. Our team agreed on a few general steps that must be followed regardless of the offer.
1. Create an account. Simple as it may sound, you must follow the registration process to the letter. Inaccurate or incomplete information input can delay your registration process, and consequently, you may not be eligible for free sign up offers.
2. Verify your details. Right after signing up, you need to verify the provided personal, contact, and payment information to become eligible to claim a bonus.
3. Choose a payment method. You can pick as your payment/payout method any of the available options for Canadians, including Interac betting payments. However, certain services like Skrill, Neteller, PayPal, and Paysafe, among others, may not qualify for bonuses.
4. Activate the bonus. Most free bets are activated by placing either a qualifying real money bet or making a deposit. Sometimes both. Open the specific bonus, and you will see the initial steps required to activate the offer. Also, double-check for activation codes, though most free bets are code-free.
Are ‘Free’ Bet Bonuses Actually Free?
Some free bet types are free, and others are only partially free as they are tied to terms related to minimum bets and deposits. In such cases, you may be required to use your own money to make a deposit, which effectively diminishes the qualifier ‘free.’
Then again, if you already intended to top up your balance with another deposit, why play only with your personal funds when the deposit makes you eligible for additional bets on the house?
There is a certain degree to how free a ‘free bet’ really is, but it all boils down to you getting betting credits on the house for meeting basic eligibility requirements. Chances are you would’ve satisfied said requirements even without opting in for a bonus, making the extra bonus bet a highly convenient incentive.
On the other hand, no deposit free bet offers are completely free. But while no deposit free bets allow you to bet completely at the operator’s expense, there is a strict limit on how much you can win and cash out.
What T&Cs Apply to Free Bets?
- Qualifying bet & Deposit. Some bonus bets are activated with a qualifying deposit, and others with a qualifying bet. You need to stay within the allowed deposit/bet limitsas laid out in the terms.
- Payment terms. We said it once, and we’ll say it again: some free bets cannot be unlocked when using certain payment methods. But this is not always the case. Read the terms to see if any payment restrictions apply.
- Non-withdrawable bonus. Once you meet the eligibility terms and claim your free bets, they will be credited to your bonus balancerather than added to your active withdrawable balance. The free bet(s) can only be used for betting. You cannot withdraw them.
- Sport restrictions. Note that sportsbooks often tout free bet deals for specific sports events only, so you can use the credits on qualifying events from that sport.
- Minimum odds and betting markets. Alongside sports restrictions, there are also odds restrictions i.e. you can put the money (free bets) only on selections withqualifying odds and/or specific betting markets.
- Validity. Free bets expire quickly after activation. Some within days, others within hours. Make sure you respect the time restrictions to avoid forfeiting your free betting funds.
- Wagering requirements. The wagering requirements imposed on free bets indicate how many times you need to wager your winnings before you can cash out. If you win C$30 using the free bets with a bonus with x5 wagering requirements, you need to wager an additional C$150 to be eligible for a payout. All winnings you accumulate in the process are yours to keep.
Note: Some free bets are included as a side bonus of larger welcome packages. In this case, you must meet the terms of the entire bonus to claim and use the free bet offer.
Where Can You Use Free Bonus Bets?
Let’s take 18Bet and Betsson as examples. The former offers an exclusive NBA free bet promo worth C$75. If you open the terms and conditions, you will see the site clearly states the free bet must be used on NBA championship games, but only on events with odds between 1.80 (-125) and 3.80 (+280). It also limits the use of the bet on single, pre-game selections.
If you look at Betsson’s promo, you’ll notice it’s part of a welcome match deposit bonus, which also includes free spins and free bets on consecutive deposits. Due to the complexity of the bonus, Betsson explains the separate terms that apply to each bonus. For the free bets, it only states that they ‘can be used on Sports.’ Unlike the 18Bet bonus, this one allows you to pick events from any sport.
How to Place Free Bets
Depending on the sportsbook, the steps to placing your free bet can vary slightly or considerably. We’ll give you a step-by-step manual on how to successfully place your free bet.
Step 1. Sign up and verify – First things first. You must be a verified member of the sportsbook to claim ongoing promotions.
Step 2. Activate the bonus. There are three common ways of activating a free bet: by using a bonus code, placing a minimum bet, or depositing a qualifying amount of money. Be sure to read the terms for the qualifying bet, considering it can be conditioned on minimum odds and specified betting markets.
Step 3. Find your betting market. After putting down the deposit/bet, the operator will credit the free bet to your bonus balance. Browse the sportsbook to find a qualifying event and tap the selection with the appropriate odds and from the relevant sport.
Step 4. Input your stake. After you tap on the odds, the selection will appear on your bet slip, usually located on the right-hand side of the screen.
Step 5. Submit your bet. The final step is to submit your bet. Just be sure to place it as a ‘single’ bet (for bonuses where the free bet cannot be splintered into multiple bets).
How to Find New Free Bet Offers in Canada
You can continue claiming and using free bets for as long as they are available. Welcome bonuses, which are available only once, are the only exception. Here are our tips for finding new free bets.
- Opt to receive updates about sports promos. Tick the relevant box to receive updates and promotional material from your betting provider. The box is usually presented in the final stages of your account registration.
- Contact customer support. If you’re a registered member, send an email or chat with the sportsbook to inquire about any existing free bet deals.
- Subscribe to a newsletter. Subscribing to a newsletter will keep you posted on all the latest sports promotions, codes, and exclusive deals – both ongoing and upcoming – on a regular basis.
- Find offers through our page. We source the best free bets on the Canadian market and publish them in dedicated reviews on our website.
Pros & Cons of Free Bet Bonuses
Free bets, no matter how appealing, are not flawless. Here are their main benefits and flaws.
|Getting extra betting funds on the house||Min. odds and sports betting market restrictions|
|Claim multiple free bets with your deposits||Sportsbooks do not return the original stake if your bet wins|
|Low wagering requirements|
|Claim no deposit bets without an initial investment|
Some do. Some don't. No deposit free bets require no deposit at all, while other promos are conditioned on a minimum monetary investment or a minimum bet.
Sportsbooks decide the maximum win and maximum cashout for free bet bonuses at their own discretion. Many deals do not have a maximum cap.
Yes. However, NFL free bets are usually available during the regular season and rarely during the preseason.
Depending on the province, you have to be older than 18 or 19 to bet online legally and claim sports bonuses.
No. Even if your bet wins, the operator will not return the initial stake when you gamble with free bets..